As a Cloud Ops engineer, do you get that feeling — that you are stuck like a tiny pet hamster in a wheel, doing the same stuff again and again, and going nowhere? You have plans to automate everyday cloud operation tasks and a roadmap towards Cloud Ops Automation, but don’t know from where to start! Working on mundane operational tasks day-in day-out is too taxing. Does this ring a bell?
The best way forward is to schedule all your routine tasks and use simple python scripts to achieve the desired automation using Botmetric’s New Custom Jobs.
Here’s Why Botmetric Built Custom Jobs
Botmetric Ops & Automation product already offered a list of 25+ pre-defined automated jobs. Using these jobs, you could automate a lot of routine tasks for major 7 AWS services. A lot of Botmetric customers liked these automated jobs and further requested some unique operational tasks in AWS cloud. Hence, Botmetric team built an universal solution that had the ability to custom run python scripts through the Botmetric console.
Game-changing Cloud Ops Automation Features in Botmetric Custom Jobs
In current marketspace a lot of SaaS products offer automations but lack in delivering categories of custom jobs. However, Botmetric Ops & Automation, since its release, has solved almost 80% of automation requirement.
With Botmetric Custom Jobs you can:
- Run your own custom scripts: Through one Botmetric console now you can perform both governance and automation. Botmetric Custom Jobs allows you to write desired Python scripts and automate scheduled execution through Botmetric console.
- Increase operational efficiency: There are a list of tasks that a DevOps engineer performs on everyday basis and these tasks differ from one infrastructure type to another. Automating such tasks through scripts would free up a lot of time for the DevOps engineer so that one could concentrate on business innovation.
- Get visibility into executions: Unlike running a script through cron/CLI, with Botmetric, you will have the ability to view status, receive alert or email notification on success or failure, and get historic execution details.
How to Schedule Custom Jobs on Botmetric?
There are two ways to schedule custom jobs:
1. Create a job with new script
Write your new script in the editor provided and verify the syntax. Provide necessary naming for identification and give email address to be notified.
2. Utilize saved scripts to create a new job
You can also choose from the previously created scripts and schedule a task out of it.
Essentially, Custom Jobs will empower you with running desired automation in your environment. With simple code logic of yours, written in Python, you can schedule your routine tasks for increased operational excellence.
Here’re few use cases to give you a gist of Custom Jobs’ potential:
The Case in Point for Creating VPC in a Region
Assume, you’re headquartered in Bay Area of the USA and have your business on cloud. So you have populated maximum of your resources in US-west. Lately, you expand your business to Germany too. However, you are still launching instances in US-west. Your team starts complaining about latency issues. So you decide to populate resources in EU-central, as the present EU-central region offers greater benefits. With a simple Python script for creating VPC in a region, with user defined CIDR scheduled, you can have the VPC created for any resources launched in this region.
The Case in Point for Copying EBS Snapshots Automatically Across Instance Tags
If you are looking for heightened DR policies and want to secure your snapshots, you can use Custom Jobs to write a custom script on Copy EBS snapshots across instance tags that can schedule your volume snapshots for the mentioned instance tags across regions and secure them.
The Case in Point for Automatically Deleting Snapshots
If you are looking to derive savings from optimizing your back-ups, you can form a custom script to schedule deletion of old snapshots after defined number of days. By automating this through Custom Jobs you will lower wastage and save on unnecessary back-up retentions.
Each passing day, we are moving more towards NoOps, which essentially means that machines can automate known problems, while humans can focus on new problems. Many of Botmetric customers have embraced NoOps (knowingly/unknowingly) by automating all and every possible routine tasks in their environment so that DevOps time is spent more towards solving new issues, and increase operational efficiency by 5X.
What are you waiting for? Take a 14-day trial and check for yourself how Botmetric helps you automate cloud ops tasks. If you’re already a customer, and have any questions, please pop them in the comment section below. We will get back to you ASAP. If you are looking to know about all things cloud, follow us on Twitter.
Latest posts by Editor (see all)
- May Roundup @ Botmetric: Deeper AWS Cost Analysis and Continuous Security - May 31, 2017
- What is NoOps, Is it Agile Ops? - May 25, 2017
- Why Botmetric Chose InfluxDB — A Real-Time Metrics Data Store That Works - May 18, 2017